Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#484555 - 02/05/09 01:16 AM Indiana cohabitation laws and no overnight guests
MichelleE Offline
recently joined

I have been divorced 2 1/2 years and have joint custody with my ex-husband, however, he has physical custody. I see my three children every other weekend. their ages are 11, 13 and 15. We have a clause in our divorce decree that states that while the children are in our presence we can have no males/females spend the night unless it is by marriage or blood relation. I have since met a wonderful man whom my kids live very much and he likes my kids very much too. Up to this point there have been no overnight stays until recently. This past weekend I invited him to spend the night while I had my children. Yes, I know I was in the wrong for doing that, however, he slept on the couch and my daughter slept with me in the bedroom as she usually does. Of course the ex found out about this and blew up. My b/f has also asked me to move in with him and I have accepted his offer. First question I have is, is living with him going to be the same as overnight visits and I won't be allowed to have my kids over? I cannot afford to get a motel every other weekend just so I can see my kids. I will be living 150 miles away so sending them home at night will not be an option either. Secondly, his ex-wife remarried and lives in W. Virginia. Three times my ex took the kids to visit them (his oldest daughter from their marriage also visits there at the same time). On each visit, the boys stayed with their father in the camper, however, my girl who is 11 actually stayed in his ex-wife's house with her husband even though her half sister was there. But none the less, my daughter was not blood related to his ex-wife and her husband. Wouldn't you say that he was also in contempt of court? I know he is going to slam me to the wall for having my b/f spend the night on the couch, but I also feel that he is not right for doing what he did either. I am also wondering if the courts would allow the kids to visit with me and my b/f and have the overnight stays. My b/f is just not another guy in my kids' life and when I have dated other men in the past I never even introduced my kids to any of them because I wanted to protect them. Marriage is not an option for me because I don't believe a piece of paper would make me love him or make him love me any more. I would really like to have some feedback on this issue.

#484556 - 02/05/09 02:12 AM Re: Indiana cohabitation laws and no overnight guests [Re: MichelleE]
googledad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

First question I have is, is living with him going to be the same as overnight visits and I won't be allowed to have my kids over?

>>>>>>>>>> Yes .

Wouldn't you say that he was also in contempt of court?

>>>>>>>>>> No . He was not in the same house , his ex is not part of your agreement .

I am also wondering if the courts would allow the kids to visit with me and my b/f and have the overnight stays.

>>>>>>>>> No .

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: