Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#541158 - 07/31/09 03:25 PM Pro-se
KnowledgeGuy Offline

recently joined

Loc: New York, USA
Ok, here's the story. I had a great career going for me, when my "wife" decided she wanted to be single again. At the peak of my earnings potential she was awarded child support and maintenance to the tune of $3k a month. With the divorce, domestic and custody issues, stress and tragidy abounded. I was devistated and quickly imploded. (I had and still do not have any substance abuse issues, no gambling, violence, spending, control or infidelity issues.) Depressed, broke and unable to defend myself in court, she refused to agree on any modifications due to my circumstances. The leverage she had was too good to reliquish. So her and her attorney oppose modifications at every step along the way and my arrears continue to increase in spite of my every effort to get them modified. I am remarried and am ineligable for any "free attorney" and so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am pro-se on a current modification petition. (The fourth I have attempted so far.) The end result is, I am now my counties poster child for dead-beat-dads. According to CSEU I owe my ex-wife over $150,000.00 in child support. My account accrues interest and penalties of over $600.00 a month. I need a modification, am unable to afford a lawyer, and would really like some case law to explore any cases out there with similar aspects. Any help would be appreciated. I have been paying support, but not the ammounts that are currently stipulated by the order, which remains unchanged.

#541159 - 07/31/09 03:38 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: KnowledgeGuy]
junebug Offline
addict

over 150,000 in arrears? At 3K per month, that means you haven't paid a dime in child support in over 4 years? Is that right?

#541160 - 07/31/09 04:52 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: junebug]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

"Is that right? "
I'm guessing not. It's the magic of compounding interest:

"According to CSEU I owe my ex-wife over $150,000.00 in child support. My account accrues interest and penalties of over $600.00 a month."

If you owe $1,000 today at 10% interest, and the interest compounds once a year, you owe $1,100 in a year. If the interest, however, compounds monthly, you'll owe interest also on the interest, and next month you'll owe interest on the interest on the interest. Think credit cards. The reason is takes you forever to pay them off is because the interest compounds monthly.

#541161 - 07/31/09 04:57 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: KnowledgeGuy]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]Ok, here's the story. I had a great career going for me, when my "wife" decided she wanted to be single again. At the peak of my earnings potential she was awarded child support and maintenance to the tune of $3k a month. With the divorce, domestic and custody issues, stress and tragidy abounded. I was devistated and quickly imploded. (I had and still do not have any substance abuse issues, no gambling, violence, spending, control or infidelity issues.) Depressed, broke and unable to defend myself in court, she refused to agree on any modifications due to my circumstances. The leverage she had was too good to reliquish. So her and her attorney oppose modifications at every step along the way and my arrears continue to increase in spite of my every effort to get them modified. I am remarried and am ineligable for any "free attorney" and so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am pro-se on a current modification petition. (The fourth I have attempted so far.) The end result is, I am now my counties poster child for dead-beat-dads. According to CSEU I owe my ex-wife over $150,000.00 in child support. My account accrues interest and penalties of over $600.00 a month. I need a modification, am unable to afford a lawyer, and would really like some case law to explore any cases out there with similar aspects. Any help would be appreciated. I have been paying support, but not the ammounts that are currently stipulated by the order, which remains unchanged. [/quote]

You haven't mentioned what your problem is

#541162 - 07/31/09 05:52 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: Yes_Dad]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I believe the problem is this:

"I need a modification, am unable to afford a lawyer, and would really like some case law to explore any cases out there with similar aspects. "

#541163 - 08/02/09 09:55 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: Sherron]
finz Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Why did his earnings go down ?

When did he remarry ? If his downward spiral started during the custody battle, as implied, then he knew he couldn't afford his past responsibilities, so why did he add a new spouse to the mix ?

I absolutely have sympathy if someone got laid off and had difficulty getting a modification in a timely manner, or something similar, but I don't understand what the mitigating circumstances are in this case.

#541164 - 08/03/09 03:17 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: finz]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

"If his downward spiral started during the custody battle, as implied, then he knew he couldn't afford his past responsibilities, so why did he add a new spouse to the mix ?"

Uhm...usually, a new spouse brings MORE income to the household.

#541165 - 08/03/09 05:52 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: Sherron]
finz Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Umm.......a new working spouse would, but I've heard far more frequently on this board about new wives and new babies so new wife is not working

Maybe that's not the case here at all. OP hasn't been back to clarify exactly why his income decreased so much. His story isn't making sense to me yet........the implication was that he was too depressed and upset to work, but he was fine to start another relationship and make the committment of marriage.....just not adding up.

There could certainly be a valid explanation for all of this.......we'll see if OP supplies it.

#541166 - 08/03/09 08:27 PM Re: Pro-se [Re: finz]
Sherron Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

"Umm.......a new working spouse would, but I've heard far more frequently on this board about new wives and new babies so new wife is not working"

True. I didn't see anything to indicate one way or the other, so I guess we'll have to wait for more details.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: