Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#577 - 07/03/04 06:02 AM parental rights???
Maxmus Offline

Registered: 07/03/04
Posts: 71
I would like to know the following information.
Say, if the father lives in Florida. And the mother and child live in Kansas. Could the father sign over his
parental rights??? The couple were never married and had one child together inwhich he hasn't seen in nearly 10 years. The Child is now 10 years old. The state of Kansas has sent him a court order to pay child support. If he was to sign over his parental rights??? Would that free him from paying any child support. Would the mother have to agree also on the parental rights???

Edited by Maxmus (07/03/04 06:08 AM)

#578 - 07/03/04 02:47 PM Re: parental rights??? [Re: Maxmus]
Eric Offline
old hand

Registered: 05/30/04
Posts: 807
Loc: USA
Signing ove the rights will not relieve you of the child support.

You too can have a private agreement that she refunds the money to you. But, if you don't have a record of payment and proof, you will be on the hook for it the rest of your life.

If another person adopts the child, then that will normally relieve you of the child support.

Men should be able to have the same rights as a woman and have the no like, 30 day return policy to a hospital, fire department and etc., too. One day, we will have equality. until then, we have to put up or get off our butts and start fighting these atrocities.

Equality is not a difficult concept

#579 - 07/03/04 03:14 PM Re: parental rights??? [Re: Eric]
Maxmus Offline

Registered: 07/03/04
Posts: 71
I also wanted to add that the state wants him to maintain
health insurance for the child. And from what it appears
also pay child support. Since the father lives in Florida and the mother and child live in Kansas. Wouldn't the father need to hire a Kansas lawyer since he lives in Florida??? Since Kansas is court ordering the child support be payed. It appears that the state wants monies payed back for the mother and child living off the welfare system and for the birth of the child which totals: $4,501.38 She's not at this time requesting reimbursement of her past expenses over the years. It's just the state requested that monies be paid now. What rights will he have and would a lawyer be needed?

Edited by Maxmus (07/03/04 03:18 PM)

#580 - 07/03/04 05:47 PM Re: parental rights??? [Re: Maxmus]
Gecko Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Registered: 06/02/04
Posts: 20602
Loc: Third rock from the sun
You're going to need a Kansas attorney.
If you air your dirty linen in public, expect people to comment on the skid marks!

#581 - 07/11/04 09:07 PM Re: parental rights??? [Re: Maxmus]
GraceAdler Offline
recently joined

Registered: 07/11/04
Posts: 18
In some states, when a termination of parental rights occurs, regardless of whether there is an adoption, support ends. I don't know if KS is one of those states. As was mentioned, it may be that an adoption must occur for it to take place.

Arrears will always be due however, unless they are owed to the CP (custodial parent) and they agree to forgive them. If it is owed to the state, the NCP will always be responsible for paying anything owed to the state.

If he has recently been served, he can always deny paternity and request a paternity test. However, if the child ends up being his, he will be responsible for the cost of the testing.

Also, one can't relinquish their rights unless the other party agrees. In this case, she would need to be the one to file for termination. Like I said, it may be that KS requires an adoption before agreeing to it.

You can research KS laws at

#582 - 07/12/04 03:38 AM Re: parental rights??? [Re: GraceAdler]
Maxmus Offline

Registered: 07/03/04
Posts: 71
-Thank you for the Information =)


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: