Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#623572 - 04/01/10 10:35 AM New Health Insurance program question
1004SRS Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

So, unless my kids have health insurance I will have to pay for it through the age of 26. SHould this be shared between the parents or will I have to pay for it alone?

Food for thought....

#623573 - 04/01/10 10:54 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: 1004SRS]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

It should be shared (as it normally is). He's not paying? Someone correct me but I THINK their IS a public option just for kids.

#623574 - 04/01/10 11:08 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Yes_Dad]
Redlegg Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Whoa, why wouldn't the kids pay for it. The way I understood it was they have the option, but you do not have to do it. They will be subject to the mandate, and this is just another option. I never got the idea that parents would be directed to have their kids on the insurance, but it was a means to provide them with full coverage when they were starting out, and those early jobs might not have decent covereage, or coverage that meets the governments criteria.

We keep saying kids, but these are adults. I think this portion of the bill gives young adults a method to get the required insurance. I do not think it is goingto be a part of any custody/support agreements or requirements. It just gives the young adults a way to get insurance, but they can pay for it if they want it.

#623575 - 04/01/10 11:18 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Redlegg]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]Whoa, why wouldn't the kids pay for it. The way I understood it was they have the option, but you do not have to do it. They will be subject to the mandate, and this is just another option. I never got the idea that parents would be directed to have their kids on the insurance, but it was a means to provide them with full coverage when they were starting out, and those early jobs might not have decent covereage, or coverage that meets the governments criteria.

We keep saying kids, but these are adults. I think this portion of the bill gives young adults a method to get the required insurance. I do not think it is goingto be a part of any custody/support agreements or requirements. It just gives the young adults a way to get insurance, but they can pay for it if they want it. [/quote]

That is a different portion of the bill I believe, where you can keep your kids on your insurance until they are 26 now.

There is a seperate program for kids. I'll have to look

#623576 - 04/01/10 11:20 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Yes_Dad]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

You are correct

#623577 - 04/01/10 04:32 PM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Yes_Dad]
Fishergirl Offline
addict

no one over 21 is a "kid" anymore in m opinion. Heck by 26 I was married with 3 kids myself.

#623578 - 04/01/10 04:48 PM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Fishergirl]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

There are some still in school..in particular Graduate School....

The REAL problem though is a lot of people between the age of 18 and 26 think they will never become ill and not buy insurance.

Hell, there are people 46 who think they will never become ill, and hence no insurance

#623579 - 04/02/10 12:37 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: 1004SRS]
Cassie23 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

My H pays for SD's insurance and BM isn't made to pay a portion of that, his CS isn't decreased because of it either.

If CS stops at a certain age- 18 or 21, then I don't think a parent should be MADE to cover their child until 26. If one or both parents want to- fine, if not then no.

#623580 - 04/02/10 09:57 AM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Cassie23]
Yes_Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

[quote]My H pays for SD's insurance and BM isn't made to pay a portion of that, his CS isn't decreased because of it either.

--? I am dumbfounded (not really)

If CS stops at a certain age- 18 or 21, then I don't think a parent should be MADE to cover their child until 26. If one or both parents want to- fine, if not then no. [/quote]

----> This who new bill makes it an option. If the kid is in school, I'd offer to split it with her, if not, you aren't responsible for anything. But you DO want your daughter insured.

#623581 - 04/02/10 04:42 PM Re: New Health Insurance program question [Re: Yes_Dad]
Cassie23 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

f CS stops at a certain age- 18 or 21, then I don't think a parent should be MADE to cover their child until 26. If one or both parents want to- fine, if not then no. [/quote]

----> This who new bill makes it an option. If the kid is in school, I'd offer to split it with her, if not, you aren't responsible for anything. But you DO want your daughter insured.

H will continue to carry insurance on SD and he won't ask BM to split it (like she would). This woman doesn't plan on paying any CS at all for SD, even though CS goes til 21 in NY. She figures since SD is moving to live with her Dad that is emancipation.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: