Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#655648 - 08/08/10 03:40 PM I need to talk to someone This is scary..
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

[color:"purple"] [/color] I just signed up for this forum and I need to talk to women who are going through a divorce for the best interest of their family. I am planning on filing in a few weeks and I am scared. i cant talk to him. The conversation will not stay rational. I need someone to talk to. no matter what stage of divorce you are in. I have 2 children 8 and 9, so post to me here or send me a private email. I know what my lawyer says , that doesnt make it less scary though. Like everyone, I just want it to be amicable, if there is such a thing..I am going to read through some of these forums, I hope to hear from any of you. God Bless You

#655649 - 08/08/10 06:42 PM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: brendam77]
Wagntail Offline

Loc: Oregon
B77, hope you're open to hearing from men with experience, as well. Have you answered these questions?
1: Will you live together while the divorce works it's course, or do you need to move out or have him move out?
2: Is he a threat to you or your children now, was he in the past, do you consider him capable of harm?
3: Is he a good parent, regardless of your differences with him?
4: Can you support yourself without him? Can he support himself?
In my situation, my wife was able to get a temporary order for exclusive use of our property and temporary custody, with me getting visitation. This is in effect until our court date sometime in September. She merely had to convince the judge that "tensions were escalating" between us, and that because I had no place to parent my children,(I've been on a relative's couch since June '09), I could not have my 6 & 9 year old girls for overnight visitation.
While my situation has been desparate and painful, (I'm an out of work contractor), I never considered the court order unreasonable or unfair.
If you haven't the means to support yourself and kids on your own, you can motion for temporary use of the home, temporary spousal support, and temporary custody and child support, effective until your case settles or goes to court.
Google the topic "pendente lite" support. This may help ease your worries about surviving the immediate future.
Please don't try to damage the relationship between your stbx and your kids. I'm constantly battling that with my stbx and her mother, and expect to get joint custody or at least 50/50 parenting, despite all the anger and bitterness they have shown. The children are the most important thing to protect throughout this process, and if he's a good parent, the kids will need him in their lives as much as you will. You'll also get better cooperation from him if you don't threaten him with keeping the kids from him. Just my opinion.
I highly recommend finding a divorce support group to join. Airing your thoughts and situation, hearing other's experiences, and having a skilful spiritual guide has really saved my sanity and helped me move in the right direction. Do it early. Hope this helps, and I wish you an easy, smooth transition. WT

#655650 - 08/08/10 07:14 PM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: Wagntail]
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

Yes, I don't mind speaking to a man. I'm reading this on mobile, so it's going to take a little bit to answer your questions. I realize it takes 2 to make it work or not make it work. So, in my next post, you are basically going to have my Bio. Btw how do you get posts to show up in color

#655651 - 08/08/10 08:44 PM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: brendam77]
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

we saved up a lot of money through the yeat and I convinced him that we should use it for a down payment on a home, instead of going out and buying silly stuff for us. I take care of the house and kids fulltime. I get absolutely no help. I have no support here. He works 40 hours a week and he comes home and does nothing with or for the kids. maybe once in a while, he might. He wont take them out anywhere to do anything with them
this house is overwhelming with a lot of bad memories for me and his career is here so it would make sense he should live in the house. My sister has a house many many states awat and she sent me pictures of what is to be my room. Me and my daughter share the room and there is a little alcove off to the side where my son can sleep in privacy This room, just a room in a house in a "no fear" zone, just sounds heavenly. right now, our safe zone is my bedroom, me and the kids spend most our time in here watching movies, playing games talking writing etc..its uncomfortable to go out into the rest of the house. the kids spend a lot of time in here with me trying to avoid trouble we have been living up here isolated for 4 years, we dont have a place to go when it starts to get ugly. I think he is a threat, and I am pretty sure he is a threat to himself we are all emotionally scarred from him and will be spending the next few years in therapy trying to put our family of 3 back together. he thinks lowly of himself and he projects that onto us. He was yelling one day and he used the phrase collectively "you all motherf***ers" The kids heard it. they are 8 and 9 and they have heard me been called the B word long enough he never talks to the kids and apologizes when he treats us like that. He says he is doing 100 times better than his own father that he just doesnt beat their a**es for every little thing. I dont believe in that. Anger Rage and Violence are learned behavior and will continue to the next generation if I dont do something soon. he can support himself. Lawyer told me I can recieve maintenance, and if this is so, I intend on going back to school and starting my life over on a different ground and I will have the ffamily support to help me with the kids. I havent had support with the children in 4 years. He told me when I brought home the college papers that he wouldnt be able to go back to college if I did for another 4 yrs. Since he is more credits closer to a degree, I assented, but he still hasnt gotten around to enrolling
As for the children, He will have the relationship with them that he wants to make happen. He doesnt have much to do with them now and he has every excuse why visitation wont work. time, money, no one to help with kids. I will encourage the kids phone calls letters and emails, but that is between them, I dont want it to have anything to do with me. as for temp maintenance, all of his bills are going to be going down usage utilities food clothing, all the stuff a family uses so he wont be as hurting as it sounds. I intend on charting this out to show to the lawyer
the closest me and him have come to talking about it is he says if I go, I get the car and the my cell phone. hes gonna flip when my lawyer serves the papers and suggests 25% I would like to disappear on that day. I am thinking of flying my kids out right about when papers are served then flying back on my own in time for our maintenance hearing. If I could talk to him, which I cant. I would tell him now is the time to go out and buy that car he has wanted asap before our assets get frozen.
In reality, the only thing i want to ask for is maintenance to help me get my life back on track going to school. My car, and in the end proceedings, just 1/2 the equity on the home we bought together and I spent years landscaping, working on the inside, doing what I could to up the value. In the end, it sounds like he gets everything. Im just thinking of letting my lawyer tell me what I am entitled to before making any decisions. In the end, I just want my kids to be safe in all ways..

#655652 - 08/08/10 09:00 PM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: Wagntail]
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

Quote:
B77, hope you're open to hearing from men with experience, as well. Have you answered these questions?
1: Will you live together while the divorce works it's course, or do you need to move out or have him move out?
2: Is he a threat to you or your children now, was he in the past, do you consider him capable of harm?
3: Is he a good parent, regardless of your differences with him?
4: Can you support yourself without him? Can he support himself?
In my situation, my wife was able to get a temporary order for exclusive use of our property and temporary custody, with me getting visitation. This is in effect until our court date sometime in September. She merely had to convince the judge that "tensions were escalating" between us, and that because I had no place to parent my children,(I've been on a relative's couch since June '09), I could not have my 6 & 9 year old girls for overnight visitation.
While my situation has been desparate and painful, (I'm an out of work contractor), I never considered the court order unreasonable or unfair.
If you haven't the means to support yourself and kids on your own, you can motion for temporary use of the home, temporary spousal support, and temporary custody and child support, effective until your case settles or goes to court.
Google the topic "pendente lite" support. This may help ease your worries about surviving the immediate future.
Please don't try to damage the relationship between your stbx and your kids. I'm constantly battling that with my stbx and her mother, and expect to get joint custody or at least 50/50 parenting, despite all the anger and bitterness they have shown. The children are the most important thing to protect throughout this process, and if he's a good parent, the kids will need him in their lives as much as you will. You'll also get better cooperation from him if you don't threaten him with keeping the kids from him. Just my opinion.
I highly recommend finding a divorce support group to join. Airing your thoughts and situation, hearing other's experiences, and having a skilful spiritual guide has really saved my sanity and helped me move in the right direction. Do it early. Hope this helps, and I wish you an easy, smooth transition. WT

[color:"red"] [/color] I apologize for some of our gender..Some people just sound evil. My children would be so blessed if they had a father who wanted to spend time with them. I envy those people, and I know my kids feel cheated too. I certainly do. I promised to do better by them and up till now, I am failing them miserably. Evil does not prosper. My fingers are crossed for you getting a judge to see through the BS. Everyone who wants to be a loving father, deserves that right, as well as every child deserves to have a loving involved father.. [color:"red"] [/color]

#655653 - 08/08/10 11:00 PM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: brendam77]
Wagntail Offline

Thanx for being openminded, B77. I feel I've learned alot, and made miles of progress, by joining this site.
Yes, find out what awards are typical in your state. You'll probably have a good chance at keeping the home, getting enough maintenance or transitional support, (alimony), to afford the mortagage and utilities, and getting child support based upon the parenting time percentages. Fathers who don't fight for more typically get one weekday evening and alternate weekends, and I think that's considered 25%/75%. You're also probably entitled to half of all investments, savings, retirement plans, insurance policies, etc. Don't give away the farm trying to be nice to him. This is more of a business transaction than an emotional one.
Once you understand what awards are typical, prepare a motion for pendente lite support, temporary exclusive use of your home, and a temporary custody order. My wife got the judge to remove me from my home on nothing more than the idea that "tensions are escalating". You'll get a hearing to voice your fears and concerns, and I think you'll be successful in getting the judge to make him move out. (If your stbx's income is generated in the home, and can't reasonably be relocated, you'll need to find an alternative. I was granted 35hrs per week at my workshop on our property, but it's not working out well). You need to create a safe, stable environment for your children and yourself. Do NOT take them out of state or hide them in any way. You can move into temporary housing, (friends, relatives, shelter), but don't try to hide them or change their school district before bringing this before the court. Your lawyer (or even courthouse clerk), should be able to tell you how long it will take to get the hearing on your temporary motions. Believe me, the courts will try to keep your children in the family home while the divorce makes it's way through the system. You've got hope!

#655654 - 08/09/10 12:34 AM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: Wagntail]
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

that sounds the opposite of my plan, I dont want him to move out, because I am the one who dont want to live in this house and i dont want to screw anyone. he is my sons father, but was never put on the bc and later on, he didnt want to. I think he feared child support, so that isnt the issue. he has no legal rights with the children. the kids wont even show up on paper in this divorce. i will not take away their relationship though, but there will be no child support or custody battle. we dont want this family home. we want to go be with family. there is no future for me here and I and the kids are isolated. you talked about support groups. this place is so small and everything is within a long driving distance, there are no support groups for anything around here. no extracurricular activities for my kids. this kind of stuff is on my wishlist. the things I can give them when we get to a place where there are resources to live our dreams I need to check out the tern pendente lite support, however..writing it down. I found a file on a thumb drive while I was looking for something else, that has all his pay websites 401k sites and any other money invveested website, complete with the passwords so I copied it to my computer and I am going to send it to a safe place, so now, discovery wont be so hard. i thought all I had to go by was the bank account, but now I have access to all of our information accounts pay etc..

#655655 - 08/09/10 02:14 AM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: brendam77]
Wagntail Offline

You've done some good groundwork, B77. Your lawyer will be able to tell you what a good settlement offer will be in regards to the retirement and savings, equity in the house, etc. Just don't walk away from anything, simply get this over with.
Sorry you're so isolated. You should voice some of your concerns about your safety in the Women's Rights forum.
I hate to give you bad news, but you'll be doing all your divorce in your home state. Ask your lawyer about needing to get your children and yourself out of the house. I can understand why you don't want to be there anymore. Offering to relinquish the house to him will be a great bargaining chip in the property division. You'll need to get the temporary support I mentioned to get a small place for you and the kids while going through the divorce. Your lawyer will know how much to ask for. Maybe find a place in a nearby larger town, like the one where your county courthouse is located. You can move the kids up to 60 miles, (I believe), without causing problems with the court. Do you have access to the savings account you thought might work for a downpayment on a home? Ask your lawyer, but I believe you could remove exactly half of that amount to use to get yourself out of his house. Once you file for divorce, you might not be able to use any of that for current needs.

#655656 - 08/09/10 06:00 AM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: Wagntail]
brendam77 Offline

recently joined

If I leave after the preliminary hearing. There shouldn't be a problem. They are MY kids legally so there should be no penalty for sending them away. The lawyer can deal with it unless I need to make an appearance. This could take up to 2 years to decide all this division, but wouldn't they see I'd be better off with a supporting family? And not isolated here? Like I said, I could take my kids to Egypt right now or 5 yrs down the road. It's completely legal. They shouldn't even come up in this divorce I and I alone are responsible fir them, he never adopted then. I really can't imagine being stuck here.. : (

#655657 - 08/09/10 09:20 AM Re: I need to talk to someone This is scary.. [Re: brendam77]
Wagntail Offline

You're probably right. Shouldn't be a problem with you taking the kids. I don't have experience to help much more with your situation. I'm glad you can talk to a lawyer. I've been on my own through my ordeal, and probably haven't been very smart about it. Do what you feel to be best for your children and yourself. Don't fear the future, just take the steps you need to now and get the process started.
Take care, and good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: