I can only afford a one bedroom apartment for myself & my 6 yr. old son that will only be there 3 nights a week. I'm currently staying at a friends house until I can find a place. My estranged wife (I moved out of the house in September) just informed me that NC law says I have to rent/buy a two bedroom abode. Is this true? We don't have any type of formalized separation agreement because she refuses to sign one.