Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#759211 - 02/15/13 03:26 AM Need Advise/long post
DebGray Offline

recently joined

Registered: 02/15/13
Posts: 1
I am new to this group and Need advice. My husband and I got divorced several years ago. Due to financial issues & to make it easier for my kids-he invited me to live in their new house. I lived there for 3 years. Last Sunday he was hateful to our 13 year old. I stood up for our son which angered me ex. He stormed out...came back 30 minutes later and forced me to leave. Both kids in tears. I am not a co owner of the house but was told the way he did it was illegal. I am at my parents and miss and worry about my kids! My husband has a violent temper...he never hit me but I suffered emotional abuse for years. Finances r tight...I don't know what to do.

#759212 - 02/15/13 01:49 PM Re: Need Advise/long post [Re: DebGray]
MinnesotaMom Online   content

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 879
Who has custody of the kids according to your divorce decree?

#759213 - 02/18/13 12:01 AM Re: Need Advise/long post [Re: MinnesotaMom]
Anything4Love Offline


Registered: 10/09/11
Posts: 76
Loc: Virginia
I think when someone told you it was illegal they meant you should have had something in writing describing the terms of your tenancy, since you were divorced and not in a romantic relationship with him.

I don't know every state's law but I doubt there is any state where a person can be thrown out of their place of residence with zero notice, with or without a lease. You need to check on roommates rights or tenants rights laws specific to your state.

It's outrageous that he pulled a stunt like that in front of the children, and well worth adding to your custody events log (if you don't have one, you should start one to protect your rights)

#759214 - 03/04/13 11:49 PM Re: Need Advise/long post [Re: DebGray]
finz Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Registered: 06/17/08
Posts: 6756
You suffered emotional abuse from him for years and you have since voluntarily moved into his house for 3 years ?

If you tried to use that against him in court, I doubt that a judge would find that your ex was the unstable one. I'd rethink that strategy.

I don't know what happened with the incident with your 13 yo or what you would qualify as 'hateful' behavior on your ex's part. I do understand that I don't know any parent of a teen who always managed things optimally. Teens can be a challenge. If you really think your ex crossed a line over that incident with your child, you have to do whatever you can to protect that child. Do you think this is an incident for child protective services ? Or do you think your ex overreacted, but wasn't totally out of line ? Have you talked to your ex since about the incident ? Have you had parenting time with the kids since ?

#759215 - 03/17/16 12:18 PM Re: Need Advise/long post [Re: finz]
atorneywichita90 Offline

recently joined

Registered: 03/17/16
Posts: 5
for your child you should contact to a lawyer for child custody. It is very hard for the child to stay with that person who has short temper.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: