Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#771584 - 03/22/16 10:50 PM Responsible for Debt (CC's not in my name)
rachel89 Offline

recently joined

Registered: 03/22/16
Posts: 1
While my husband and I were together, he was incurring debt that I knew nothing about (i.e. using credit cards that did not have my name on them). We are "separated"; however, Texas doesn't recognize legal separation. We do not have ANY credit cards in our name and only 1 "joint" car loan. I am worried that I will be held responsible for his debt - is this true? If so, is there anything I can do to avoid this? We plan on filing uncontested - we are currently waiting due to domicile waiting periods here in Texas (the requirement is 6 months domicile). I am REALLY hoping that I am not going to be held responsible for his debt when the divorce becomes final. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#771585 - 03/31/16 10:33 PM Re: Responsible for Debt (CC's not in my name) [Re: rachel89]
gr8Dad Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Registered: 06/07/04
Posts: 31800
Texas is a community property state. During the divorce process, the ASSETS and the DEBT of the marriage will be split equally.
Why give a "senior" discount, they have had plenty of time to raise the money...

#771586 - 04/01/16 08:37 AM Re: Responsible for Debt (CC's not in my name) [Re: rachel89]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 880
You will be responsible for 1/2 the community debt, which includes credit cards.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: