Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773940 - 09/18/17 01:09 PM Child Support order fullfilled, he wants more
Overhaul1 Offline

recently joined

Registered: 07/05/16
Posts: 9
So last Nov. my ex. moved out of state, but my son decided to live with his sister in MA to finish high school (Senior Year). My court order for child support ended on his 18th birthday as stated in the court order. Now he is going to college and he is asking for me for additional child support saying he has talked to a lawyer. He started off with 200 a week and worked his way down to 100 a week. Its not a matter of me not wanting to "support" my child, its a matter of for the last 3 years ALL i have been is a bank!Two of my kids want nothing to do with my current wife or I unless it comes to wanting money. No phone calls, no happy birthday, no lets get together. Not for lack of our trying there is always an excuse! Anyway, I have read that it CAN continue through college if not specifically stated that support ends at 18, also he would have to live at least part-time with his mother while in college. My court order specifically states he is done at 18, and he does not live part time with his mother. Any thoughts?

Edited by Overhaul1 (09/18/17 01:09 PM)

#773947 - 09/18/17 08:29 PM Re: Child Support order fullfilled, he wants more [Re: Overhaul1]
Yep Offline
recently joined

Registered: 09/18/17
Posts: 2
Well what does your support order state? Does it include college? What are the state laws?

You may need to consult an attorney or try legalaid if not affordable.

Frankly if you haven't agreed to anything and no contracts states you are to pay for college then I don't see how they can demand anything from you.

I just started my journey and have a long way to go.

#773949 - 09/19/17 05:24 AM Re: Child Support order fullfilled, he wants more [Re: Overhaul1]
ch_oni Offline
recently joined

Registered: 06/19/17
Posts: 9
So your own son is coming after you for child support and has consulted an attorney...Wow!

What happened to a child just coming to his father and asking for help?

If your order doesn't state that you have to pay for college expenses, then you do not by law. It is up to you to decide if you want to assist. But, based on what I read I would tell that boy to go kick rocks...

#773974 - 10/05/17 09:43 AM Re: Child Support order fullfilled, he wants more [Re: Overhaul1]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 969
What state does the child support order originate from?


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: