Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#774001 - 10/13/17 05:22 PM NC Child Support
Pirate17 Offline
recently joined

Registered: 10/13/17
Posts: 1
I am not married to the father of my children, but we do live together.
I'm not worried about him trying to get custody or suing in any way. He is a good father, but we do need to separate. I have already exhausted years into trying to keep this relationship together, so I am not asking for advice on how to stay together.

What I am asking about is this:
I am a graduate student and do not hold a job. The lease on our home ends in March. How far in advance do I need to file for child support? I have read that it can take some time to get child support and do not want to wait until March to file in case it takes a few months. I also do not want to file too early and it be denied since I still live with him.
I know nothing about child support.
Any help is appreciated.

#774006 - 10/16/17 04:22 AM Re: NC Child Support [Re: Pirate17]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 969
You can't really file until you don't live together anymore, but the courts make it retroactive to the date you file. Is he on the birth certificate?


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: