Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#773336 - 04/27/17 01:16 PM Mother Not Stable....Father Can't Afford Lawyer
khsmiley Offline


Registered: 05/24/16
Posts: 26
My fiancée is dealing with a very unstable woman, and it is having a negative effect on their 5 yo daughter.

Mother is primary parent, but has moved the child to several different schools over the last year due to her changing relationship status. Today, she is in the hospital after calling several times after midnight last night to tell the father she hates him, and texting a picture of herself in the bathtub with blood in the water.

The child was in school #1 for pre-K last year. She was moved to school #2 in another town for the beginning of K and was put in after-care with infants after her mother moved in with her boyfriend. The mother broke up with her boyfriend just 1 mo later, got her own apartment in a different town, and switched the child to school #3. After another month, the mother moved back in with the boyfriend, and changed the child's school back to school #2. Another month later, the mother asked for a divorce but was told by the supposed husband that he never filed the marriage paperwork so they aren't technically married. Mother then moves in with her mother and changes the child to school #4 in another town. The child is now having attention issues in school and the mother claims that the daughter goes to sleep at 6pm because she is so exhausted from school. However, when the child visits her father, she is a bundle of energy and doesn't want to go to sleep until around 9. The mother is now saying she loves her husband and will be building a house with him and pursuing their marriage...all while she is texting the father and telling him that she hates him, calling him all kinds of awful names, and withholding visitation from the father based on her mood.

The mother has divulged to the father that the boyfriend was verbally abusive to her, but never to the child. The mother claims that the boyfriend forced her to get an Order of Protection against the father and to lie in court to satisfy the boyfriend.

Now what? My fiancée can't afford thousands of dollars for a lawyer, but he is worried that his daughter is being negatively impacted by the mothers unstable behavior. He only gets 240 days with his daughter per year, but is willing to fight for full custody to ensure her health, well-being, and safety.

Does anyone out there have any advice? We are at a loss about what to do and feel helpless...........

#773339 - 04/27/17 05:33 PM Re: Mother Not Stable....Father Can't Afford Lawyer [Re: khsmiley]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 880
How can someone be the primary parent when they only have the child 122 days a years?

From what you wrote, the only way you can help is to contribute to get an attorney. He won't get anywhere without one.

#773340 - 04/27/17 06:54 PM Re: Mother Not Stable....Father Can't Afford Lawyer [Re: khsmiley]
khsmiley Offline


Registered: 05/24/16
Posts: 26
Sorry, that was a typo.....140 days, not 240! I wish he could afford an attorney. I can't believe how expensive it is to make sure your own child is in a safe environment. I'm looking into our local Legal Aid Society to see if they may have recommendations. Thanks!

#774309 - 02/10/18 02:12 PM Re: Mother Not Stable....Father Can't Afford Lawyer [Re: khsmiley]
Nospousal Offline
recently joined

Registered: 02/10/18
Posts: 4
Involve Cps. She sounds unstable and child is not safe with her. They can be your biggest help and they are free to use.


Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: