Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#774550 - 04/11/18 01:46 AM Child Support payment question
vbquest Offline
recently joined

Registered: 04/11/18
Posts: 1
My divorce was final in January in the state of Texas. I was paying child support of 1300 to my wife during the divorce process and it went up to 1700 per month in the final decree. I did not realize that the paperwork had not gone thru for my employer to revise the withholding amount and now I am behind in payments. I did not become aware of this until 2 weeks ago. I have contacted the AG's office twice by email and tried calling them 3 times, but haven't been able to talk to them yet. Today I received a letter in the mail from my ex wife's lawyer stating that I was 2000 behind in child support and if I didn't pay the balance in full in 10 days they were going to file contempt of court charges against me and make me pay their legal fees too. I am not trying to avoid making the payments, but I don't have the full amount to pay in 10 days. I want to make a payment plan with the AG's office to get paid up. Now I am worried about them filing charges and having to pay more money I don't have or going to jail. Can this go to court? Can I go to jail? I feel like they are bullying me and this can't possible hold up in court if I am paying and trying to get caught up. What are my options? Can they come after me? Thanks,

#774559 - 04/13/18 08:54 PM Re: Child Support payment question [Re: vbquest]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 969
Send a certified letter to the AG with your circumstances, account number, how much you are paying and what you propose to pay extra per month. You shouldn't have any problem.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: