Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#774820 - 07/22/18 11:50 AM Do I have an upper hand in FL?
7yrache Offline
recently joined

About ten years ago we married, no kids (fortunately). We bought a class A RV under the idea that it would 1- make for an affordable living arrangement, 2- POSSIBLY serve double duty, to travel in. Back 7 years ago she virtually had me at gunpoint to cosign on the loan for the RV. Her being the main breadwinner (three times my income, always), I [b]finally[/b] capitulated and cosigned.

She’s been on a constant campaign for a couple years now, looking into any way to get from under the RV and into a home. Apartments? Her income ALONE disqualifies us from looking at most (that, or the apartments are beyond our combined financial means). Home buying? We’d still be financially under (with the RV especially). She seems to give a ‘white glove’ treatment to every place that she examines as a possibility (especially renting...”Well, they”ll have to [b]fix[/b] it [i]immediately[/i] if anything breaks down” LMAO) with virtually no opportunities meeting her raised expectations.

[b]Now[/b] she’s extremely dissatisfied with our living arrangement, asking things of ‘progression’. “Where do you see us in ten years?” Well, near retirement for her, and myself six years away. We could stay with the RV, or walk away from the RV and do a 55+ community, I dunno?

In the course of debate, she has suggested that I have the ‘upper hand’ if we chose divorce: She is a professional, making three times my relatively ‘Mc’ income), I have a medical condition that limits my work (epilepsy). She suggested that if we divorced, then I could go for ALIMONY from HER :D ! And the RV payments? As long as MY income [b]is where it is,[/b] it would be like squeezing juice from a dry pinto bean for the bank/establishment :grin: . (my wages being so low that they [b]can’t[/b] be garnished, and I have NO drivers license due to my epilepsy). [b]Which,[/b] if [b]any[/b] of this, sounds [b]true[/b]?

#774821 - 07/22/18 12:18 PM Re: Do I have an upper hand in FL? [Re: 7yrache]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Do you have a specific question?

#774823 - 07/22/18 02:26 PM Re: Do I have an upper hand in FL? [Re: MinnesotaMom]
7yrache Offline
recently joined

Yes or no alimony option for ME(esp. in FL ‘no fault’ state)... Is her claim that I could file for alimony against HER (due to MY income/health) true?

What could the bank do to ME if I/we let the RV payments go?

Edited by 7yrache (07/22/18 02:29 PM)

#774824 - 07/24/18 04:03 AM Re: Do I have an upper hand in FL? [Re: 7yrache]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Possible alimony, but you would have to state your respective incomes to give any kind of estimate. Alimony is for 1/2 the length of the marriage at the most.

If you owe money on the RV and don't make the payments, your lender will take the RV and sell it to attempt to get what is owed.. If they get less than what is owed, they typically try to get you to pay.

#774834 - 07/26/18 04:43 PM Re: Do I have an upper hand in FL? [Re: 7yrache]
7yrache Offline
recently joined

...And the bank financing the RV WOULD get less, by putting it on ‘short sale’ ...as I explained to her when BUYING the RV... we SIGN, we’re COMMITED to it, LAST choice W/O considerable punishment/consequences! These days in the land of ‘empty nest’ / midlife/ menopause, she wants to believe that the slate can be wiped clean on a whim.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: