Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#775555 - 07/01/19 06:55 PM Leaving with a Child
clmsngrl1234 Offline
recently joined

Registered: 07/01/19
Posts: 3
My husband & I have been together 7 years, married 3 on August 1st. We have a daughter who will be 4 years old at the end of August. He's going on 40 years old, I'm going on 25 years old. I know, weird. Wasn't so weird when I was younger & we got together when I was 17. There's a lot of things that your 17 year old self does not think through. It was good in the beginning but now he's just VERY controlling, tries to act like my daddy, but doesn't even act like he likes me half the time, unless he's drunk. He literally gets mad if I don't do what he says, like gets his damn pajamas or fix his plate..just simple stuff. And the past year, he expects me to pay him $140 at the beginning of each

If he is off work, he'll just drink all day & I'll come home to him passed out when he's supposed to be watching our daughter while I am working. I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here. I have an apartment lined up, but I don't want him to come and snatch our daughter from me.

We can't get along for nothing. We cannot even carry on a conversation without arguing. We can't go shopping or anything without some kind of argument. He's just mad at the world all the he drinks all the time, as stated, unless he is at work. The relationship is just draining the life out of me. I don't want my daughter to be around a drunk all the time either or think that a man can talk to her like that and just demand her around.

I've tried to talk to him about us separating, but he just keeps saying that I am not taking our daughter. WHICH I AM. My question is, how can I do this legally? AND can he take her from me? He has 2 other daughters. One he signed over rights to and the other he pays child support on but does not even see her, but he thinks he is going to take our child from me???? Is that possible? I'm not sure if any judge in their right mind would allow that, but you never know.

Also, once my daughter and I have moved out, then what? File divorce & custody..or?? I've googled the laws in SC on that, but it doesn't really help.

I've never been through anything like this. I just don't want it to blow up in my face..I want to make the right decision. I've been thinking on this for more than a year. I just can't make a move bc honestly I am scared..I'd love to talk to someone who has been through similar.

Any advice or input is welcome.

#775562 - 07/02/19 10:27 PM Re: Leaving with a Child [Re: clmsngrl1234]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 969
By law, you have equal rights to the child. You have to file for divorce and have a temporary custody hearing. If you just up and leave with the child, expect to be an every other weekend visitor to the child.

You need an attorney to proceed.

#777878 - 07/18/19 10:56 AM Re: Leaving with a Child [Re: clmsngrl1234]
CharlotteIsabell Offline
recently joined

Registered: 06/25/19
Posts: 6
I agree with MinnesotaMom you have equal rights for the child. You can hire an attorney, and as you stated, he is drunk all the time, this may give you an upper hand. Custody depends after hearing both the parties.

#777882 - 07/29/19 08:39 AM Re: Leaving with a Child [Re: clmsngrl1234]
Griggsarleen Offline
recently joined

Registered: 06/28/19
Posts: 9
I would suggest you to consult an attorney and custody depends on various factors and after hearing both the parties.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: