Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#775395 - 04/22/19 03:03 PM son wants to live with other parent
AmyBeasley Offline
recently joined

Registered: 04/22/19
Posts: 1
Hi, my first post. My oldest son wants to live with his father. He is 15, I have homeschooled him since 3rd grade, he has been with me 24/7 practically all his life, I have been 100% care giver. I'm having a very very hard time with it. Our divorce has not been finalized, so no orders are in place. Officials tell us they cant make the kids go with either parent right now. His father is staying with his parents in a 2 bedroom mobile home, old and filthy. My son has to sleep on the couch. The kids are enrolled in school now due to me having to work full time, in Alabama. My husband is staying in Georgia. I have not made a huge fuss over this bc I want my son to know it's ok to love his father and want to be with him, I'd never take that away. But his choice and absence is killing me!!!! I sob eveyday!! My husband was verbally, mentally, emotionally, and physically abusive. He has a mental illness I believe. He has threatened to shoot me, my family and my church for years, so much that so that I would hide the bullets!!! School is almost out, and my son wants to stay with his father most of the time, wants his father to have legal custody. They say next school year they are going to enroll him in school in Georgia.

My question is this, can I do anything to prevent this before divorce goes through?? I shouldn't have to lose my children bc I chose to leave an abusive marriage!! It's just not right, my son is breaking my heart WAAAY worse than his father ever did!!

#777881 - 07/20/19 06:29 AM Re: son wants to live with other parent [Re: AmyBeasley]
CharlotteIsabell Offline
recently joined

Registered: 06/25/19
Posts: 6
As you mentioned your son was living with you and there's no court order yet. Clearly, he wants to bond with his father and I can understand your concern as well due to your abusive relationship. I would suggest you get a court order regarding custody of your son ASAP.

#777883 - 07/29/19 08:43 AM Re: son wants to live with other parent [Re: AmyBeasley]
Griggsarleen Offline
recently joined

Registered: 06/28/19
Posts: 9
Your son maybe wants to bond with his father. If you want the sole custody you can get the court order.

Edited by Griggsarleen (07/29/19 08:43 AM)

#777884 - 08/02/19 05:19 AM Re: son wants to live with other parent [Re: Griggsarleen]
MinnesotaMom Offline

old hand

Registered: 01/05/11
Posts: 969
[quote=Griggsarleen]Your son maybe wants to bond with his father. If you want the sole custody you can get the court order. [/quote]

Says who? Sole custody is not easy to get. The original post is a few months old, but the key factor is why they live in separate states. If he left the state, getting significant custody will be difficult. If she left, the state will order them back to the father if he pursues it. Parents can't up and leave the state with the kids and withold them from the other parent.


Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: