Start Your Divorce Today - Premium Divorce Online

Topic Options
#983 - 07/25/04 11:27 AM paying for a child that isnt mine
neverknew Offline
recently joined

What is the name of your state?NEW YORK STATE-

OK- I was laid off in September of 2003 - .com job, company went out of business. I filed for a petition of modification and got it(temporary)
I noticed my ex's second child (not mine) on the paper work. Next court appearance I find out I am paying support for this womanís other child and have been for the past three years. I have never used a lawyer (obviously). She readily admitted in court the child isnít mine- the judge adjourned the case and asked I bring in a copy of the divorce papers.( I assume this is to show proof of the one child under support)
I am embarrassed and furious at the same time. I am embarrassed because my ignorance of the law let this happen and I am the only one to blame. I am furious because my ex knew I was paying for the second child and took every penny of it. does anyone know what my chances are of getting this child removed now that I have been paying for so long? and secondly will I be able to collect arrears from the ex? Thirdly is she guilty of any criminal act?
Any help is much appreciated...

#984 - 07/25/04 06:48 PM Re: paying for a child that isnt mine [Re: neverknew]
Maxmus Offline
journeyman

I was wanting to know if with your first child. Did you hire an atternoy because of child support? I am court ordered to have child support garnished from my check. I wanted to know if you have had the samething happen to you?
And what good would a lawyer do for me since the court is ordering child support? I don't want to get screwed hiring
an atternoy just so they can get a large retainer fee out of me.

Edited by Maxmus (07/25/04 06:50 PM)

#985 - 07/26/04 12:29 AM Perhaps 25/75, probably not, and no... [Re: neverknew]
almostheaven Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: West Virginia
It depends on the court as to whether they'll reverse the CS order on that child, but it's usually impossible to get them to order the CP repay the money. And I've never seen it considered a criminal act.

Moderator:  dsAdmin 

Resources & Tools
Start Your Divorce Online Start Your Divorce
Several Options to Get Started Today.
Divorce Tools Online Divorce Tools
Keeping it Simple to Get the Job Done.
Divorce Downloads Download Center
Instantly Download Books, Guides & Forms.
Divorce and Custody Books Discount Books
Over 100 of the Best Divorce & Custody Books.
Negotiate Online Negotiate Online
Settle your Divorce and Save.
Custody and Support Tracking Custody Scheduling
Make Sure You Document Everything.

Easily Connect With a Lawyer or Mediator
Have Divorce Professionals from Your Area Contact You!
Enter Your Zip Code: